Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Gun Control

Hello!

It's going to be quite a serious post today as I'll be talking about something I feel very strongly about, gun control. I don't know why I have such strong views on this subject, it's not an issue in Britain and hasn't personally affected me in any way. It's just something I have strong beliefs about, I even made a speech about it for a school public speaking competition. After the recent shooting in Santa Barbara, California, I thought I should write a post about it.

Gun control laws in Britain are fine in my eyes, it's America who have a serious problem. It is far too easy to get hold of a gun, as Elliot Rodger (son of Hunger Games assistant director, Peter Rodger) illustrated when he killed six people, with guns he bought legally. Rodger had Asperger syndrome and was mentally disturbed as we know from the manifesto he published before going on the killing spree. So why was he allowed to purchase three guns? US gun control is obviously extremely flawed. I suggest America adopts Britain's stance on gun control, including lots of paper work and regulations before anyone can get hold of a gun. Britain now has one of the lowest rates of gun homicide in the world, so we know it works.

Ricardo Martinez, father of victim Christopher sums up my feelings towards this horrific injustice in this video.

I'm not going to go into detail about the NRA and the opposition to tighter gun control because frankly it makes me angry. However I will leave you with some shocking statistics

  • The total number of privately owned firearms in America is estimated to be around 300 million, that’s 89 guns for every 100 people, in Britain that figure is 6 guns per 100 people. 
  • There are more licensed gun dealers (123000) in America than McDonalds (13000). 
  • US states with high gun ownership levels have double the suicide rates of those with lower ownership level, showing dangers not only to others but themselves.
  • Since Sandy Hook, which was just over a year ago, there have been over 50 school shootings in America. 
  • 30 people in America, lose their lives to gun violence each day



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!