Saturday, 2 August 2014

Poolside Books Part 1

Hello!

I recently went to Tuscany on holiday (post to come) and I got lots of reading done, I finished 8 books in 11 days! So I thought I'd review the whole lot in a few posts for you!

Inferno - Dan Brown


Robert Langdon awakes in a hospital in Florence with no recollection of how he got there or what happened the previous night. He is whisked into a high speed chase around the city, trying to unravel the mysteries he's facing.

I read this because a lot of it is set in Florence, which I visited while on holiday and I wanted to know more about the city. The book moves at a very quick pace, short chapters with plenty of cliffhangers. It incorporates renaissance art and literature into a thoroughly modern plotline. It's a page turner and I couldn't put it down. I know Dan Brown gets a lot of criticism for his books and the way he writes but I quite liked it and it was perfect for the journey. It makes a very enjoyable read.

Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick


After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Peoples moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife who has taken out a restraining order against him. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own.

I had seen the film with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, before reading the book so I knew the story already. However, I really enjoyed reading this book as Pat's narrative gives you an even closer look into the way his mind works and what he sees in the world. It is very similar to the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon. Heartwarming yet sad, this book hits all the right notes. It's a brilliant book and I would recommend it to any who's looking for an interesting read.

Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks


Katie arrives in the small town of Southport looking to forget her dark past and blend into the quiet life of the town. She reluctantly is drawn into a close relationship but her previous life threatens to hurt her and those close to her. 

Again I had seen the film before reading the book but I loved reading it nevertheless. It celebrates living a simple life and reminds you what is important in life. It's not as soppy as I feared and a lovely relaxing book for summer. 

That's all for today!

Hattie
xxx

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I have wanted to read Silver Linings Playbook for a while but have never gotten round to it. I also finally watched Safe Haven last night so may have to pick that up too!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, just stumbled across your blog. :) I love Dan Brown books, my boyfriend has got every single one and has read them all and I know he loves them. I've read a couple, my favourite being the Da Vinci Code, but I definitely need to read the rest of them in the winter when it's cold outside haha. I haven't read Silver Linings but I have seen the film and wasn't really keen on it to be honest. :/
    -Paige

    http://paigeelizabeth1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!