Wednesday, 29 October 2014

The Week: 20 - 27 October

Hello!

This week has been half school and half holiday because our half term break started on Wednesday. I've been lucky enough to have gone to see three different plays this week so it was more special than most. Therefore it would be a good week to do one of these posts! I love reading them but my life isn't interesting enough to do them regularly.

Monday & Tuesday

School, not interesting at all sadly.

Wednesday

I had school again but in the evening I went on a drama trip to the Bacon Theatre, Cheltenham to see The Pantaloons' adaption of Bleak House by Charles Dickens. None of us really knew what to expect, having read sections in English it all seemed a bit depressing and well ... bleak. However, much to our surprise, the production was very different and funny. It took you through the book in the original chapters, of which there were over 50. As well as an abundance of chapters, there was also over 50 characters, played by only 5 actors. It pokes fun at Charles Dickens and the frankly ridiculous plot points (spontaneous combustion anyone?). I loved the use of song and over the top characterisation. It was a great night and I'll be looking out for more of their shows in the future.

Thursday

Another day, another show. This time it was in Birmingham to see the Importance of Being Earnest. We had some time before the show so we went up to visit the huge library. It was opened a year ago and has a staggering amount of books there. We went right up to the top which boasts a panoramic view of the city. However we didn't get to explore the lower levels as it was closing for the evening. I wish I lived in Birmingham just for this library! We ate at the Mailbox, in Zizzi. We over-ordered garlic bread and I had a margarita pizza, both of which was utterly delicious.

The Importance of Being Earnest is a touring production, starring a whole host of established British actors such as Nigel Havers, Rosalind Ayres and Niall Buggy. They played it as a play within a play as an amateur village production. This was very funny in the first half as all the actors had a lot of chemistry with each other, you could tell they were all good friends. It stayed very true to the original play and the characters were just as I imagined them to be when I read the play.

Friday

I went to the Cheltenham Racecourse Christmas Gift and Fashion Fair on Friday. It had so many different stalls, all packed into one room. There were so many high quality products on offer, from gorgeous cashmere bobble hats to delicious fudge. However they were clearly not marketing their products to teenagers! Everything was so expensive that I didn't actually get to buy any presents for anyone.

Saturday & Sunday

Saturday was rather normal, I just did a shift at the charity shop I work in. On Sunday my family and I went on a walk with our dog to the village where my parents used to live. It ended up being a lot longer than expected but luckily I had lots of podcasts to listen to.

Monday

I went to see The Hypochondriac on Monday starring Tony Robinson. You probably know him from the British TV show, Blackadder where he plays Baldrick. This play was by far the funniest out of the three that I saw this week. At certain points during the play, there would be songs about hypochondria (thinking you are terribly ill all the time). My mum and I were laughing so much that tears started streaming down our faces! I would highly recommend trying to go see this!

Have a wonderful week!

4 comments:

  1. I love going to the theatre! I recently saw The Crucible at the Old Vic! Sounds like a fun packed week! Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really wanna eat some nice food now! that pizza looks lovely

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this little weekly post! Its like letting us have a peep into your secret diary!

    http://ramblesandbramblesblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!