Sunday, 16 November 2014

Top 7 Movie Musicals

Hello!

I'm in the middle of rehearsals for my school production of the Wizard of Oz (more on that soon). It's one of my favourite movie musicals and it got me thinking what other ones I love. They tend to be spectacular and moving, if they have a big budget, there's usually a stunning cast as well. So here's my top 7 movie musicals.

(in no particular order)

1. Chicago
I love the concept and storyline of Chicago. It follows Roxy Hart (Renee Zellweger) as she tries to escape execution for murdering her lover. Catherine Zeta Jones plays the Vaudeville star, Velma Kelly, who is also a murderer and actually won an Oscar for her performance. Other notable performances were from Richard Gere, Roxy and Velma's lawyer, and John C Reilly, Roxy's ever suffering husband. The musical numbers take place within Roxy's mind as she is obsessed with Vaudeville theatre and being notoriously famous. It won the Oscar for Best Picture in 2003 and is a spectacle to watch.


2. Les Miserables
Last year I was utterly obsessed with this film. I fell in love with the story, the songs, everything. It boasts a stellar cast, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen. As well as breakout stars like Samantha Barks, Eddie Redmayne and Aaron Tveit. What I love about this film is how true to the musical theatre roots it stayed, featuring cameos from musical stars like Kerry Ellis and Gina Beck, even the original Valjean, Colm Wilkinson. It's huge budget meant that it was almost a masterpiece.



3. Wizard of Oz
A true classic. A tradition for so many families at Christmas, Judy Garland's Dorothy has stood the test of time. It's a timeless story one that I'm sure will stick around for much longer.



4. Hairspray
The very best of feel good musicals, Hairspray never fails to cheer me up and get my feet tapping. It's about a young girl called Tracy Turnblad who dreams of becoming a dancer on the Corny Collins Show but is told she is too fat. Set in the 60s Baltimore, the film addresses the issues of race and body confidence. It's a really fun film to watch, a girls night classic. Did I mention Zac Efron is in it? So what are you waiting for? Go see it!


5. Singin' in the Rain
I think I've only seen this once but it was so good that it stuck in my memory. It's about the transition in Hollywood from silent movies to "talkies", it stars Gene Kelly and is more of a dance film than a singing one. The sheer talent of Gene and his co-stars Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds is mind blowing, watch "Good Morning" on YouTube. I'd love to see more of these old school musicals.

6. Grease
Another great feel good film, I love the story and the songs are so catchy! I always wanted to play Rizzo. It's a classic and I'll always watch it around Christmas.


7. Cabaret
A less popular musical but one of my absolute favourites. It's about a cabaret girl called Sally Bowles who is working in Germany when the Nazis are beginning their rise to power. Liza Minnelli plays Sally and Joel Grey plays the Emcee. It's different and gritty but so beautiful.



Honourable mentions to High School Musical, Frozen and Mary Poppins.

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo


1 comment:

  1. I've seen all but two! I really want to watch the Wizard of Oz, I have done for weeks I don't know why haha! Chicago and Les Mis especially are so cinematic I love them! I really like Mamma Mia too hehe Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!