Wednesday, 21 January 2015

A Letter To New York

Dear New York City

How are you? It's been a while hasn't it? Three years in fact. I really hope I'll be back soon, though it doesn't look like that's going to be possible in the next 3 years at least. In a way this feels like a love letter, but also a letter to an old friend. Either way, I've missed you.

As I'm writing this, I'm sat on a bus to school, driving through roads of neat semi-detached houses on a bitterly cold morning. Frost is clinging to the sensible cars and there are trees soggy with dew lining the pavements. The only people on the streets are shivering school children, the rest is just silver and black metallic flashes It's so very different from you. There's a distinct lack of yellow and it feels like the whole town is groggy, not looking forward to the Tuesday before them. 


I never thought I'd say it, but I miss the hustle and bustle, the business men rushing past you etc. I guess the atmosphere is one of motivated and driven people. For me that makes all the difference! New York cannot be great without these people; they cannot be great without you. I wish to become one of those, rather than just a tourist. Here in my town the tallest building has 12 floors and you can see it for miles! Whereas you are renowned worldwide for your skyscrapers, great giants of steel and concrete. I suppose it would be easy to feel intimidated by you but for me it would come as a welcome change, in a few years when I'll be itching to move away to somewhere exciting. 


I know you've had some dark times recently. The death of Eric Garner and the subsequent verdict was a tragic misjustice and I'm sending you my deepest condolences to all affected. However the solidarity that the people of New York showed following the verdict was awe insiring and very brave. I'm so glad that I live in a world where people can come together, united by a sense of justice and stand up for those who have been mistreated. 

I'd like to say thank you, New York. When I get tired and stressed out by school and all that comes with it, you provide an incentive to carry on trying, a destination that I can work towards. One day, when I have worked hard enough, I will be able to say that I live in New York City. At the moment you feel like a world away from where I am now, I actually live in a village! It may sound silly but I have this vision of a 20 something me thriving in New York, hurrying along 5th Avenue off to work in a magazine or newspaper of some sort. To be honest I haven't got it all figured out and I realise it's going to take lots and lots of hard work to get there. However I'm a firm believer of dreaming big and where better to do that than in the Big Apple? 

I really do hope to see you soon and I wish you all the best.

Yours faithfully

Hattie




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!