Saturday, 10 January 2015

REVIEW: Into The Woods

Hello!

While I was in Boston over New Year, my mum and I went to see Into the Woods. It was a particularly bitter and cold day so we desperately needed to get warm for a few hours. Where better than a huge American multiplex cinema? I've wanted to see Into the Woods ever since the trailer came out mainly because I love anything that comes from the magical realm of theatre but also because of the star studded cast. It only came out in the UK yesterday, but because I was in the US I got to see it at the end of December.

Sometimes people leave you / halfway through the wood
The Baker and his Wife desperately want a child but the Witch has placed a curse on their house that means their family tree will always be barren. However the curse can be reversed if they bring the Witch four vital ingredients by the Blue Moon in three midnights time. They must collect a cow as white as milk, a cape as red as blood, the hair as yellow of corn and a slipper as pure as gold. Along the way they meet other fairytale characters who are embarking on their traditional storylines but all is not quite how you would expect.

First things first, the actual musical, that served as the entire script, is a masterpiece composed by the great Stephen Sondheim. He's the one behind West Side Story, Follies and Sweeney Todd. It may sound a bit twee at times, particularly in the "Into The Woods" part in the Prologue. However if you listen to the lyrics, these classic fairy tales get darker and darker as the story unravels. I loved Agony with Chris Pine and Billy Magnussen as the Princes and On the Steps of the Palace with Anna Kendrick as Cinderella. 

As for the cast, James Corden and Emily Blunt put in a very good performance as the Baker and his wife. Anna Kendrick is amazing as Cinderella, did you know she was nominated for a Tony award when she was only 12? Meryl Streep plays the Witch and proves that she was the only woman for the job! Her renditions of Stay With Me is very moving and her anguish about Rapunzel gives her a humanity that I've never really seen in a witch character.

I haven't actually seen the musical but I understand that it stayed very true to the original which I think is a risky move. Many people aren't used to the fact that every line is sung and usually rhymes. However for musical lovers like me, it really works! The aesthetic looks magical but dark and dangerous at the same time.

Others may decieve you / you decide whats good.
You decide alone / but no one is alone.
I would highly recommend going to see this film!

Have a wonderful week!

Hattie
xox




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!