Wednesday, 19 August 2015

REVIEW | Inside Out

Hello! 

Last Thursday I took a trip to my local cinema to catch Disney's latest cinematic offering, Inside Out. I was really looking forward to it as I have heard so many amazing things about it, mainly from a certain film critic, Mark Kermode. I was a little nervous that it wouldn't live up to the hype but nevertheless I was excited.
 As with all Pixar films, Inside Out was shown with a brand new short film; this one was about two lonely volcanoes called Lava. It was really cute and I loved the ukulele tune that narrated it. My favourite Pixar short is still The Blue Umbrella though! 


As for the actual film, it tells the story of the 5 emotions that inhabit the mind of a young girl called Riley. These are Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Anger and Fear. They are responsible for keeping Riley happy, with Joy taking the lead, but one day Joy and Sadness accidentally get sucked out of headquarters along with Riley's core memories, the events that shaped her as a person. This coincides with Riley's big family move to San Francisco, away from her friends and happy memories. Joy and Sadness are stranded in the labrinth of Riley's long term memory, near her personality islands which are crumbling due to the loss of her core memories. Meanwhile, the other emotions are struggling to keep Riley happy, which results in her being distanced from her family and friends.

As you can probably tell from the above synopsis, this film is very much about human nature in a way that everyone can relate to. From the moment the concept of the film was explained, I was completely engaged in how it fitted in with how I had experienced emotions. Pixar are fantastic at finding a complex concept and presenting it in a beautiful and vibrant way. I love Amy Poehler, who voices Joy, and she brings so much energy to the film. I loved all the characters to pieces, particularly Bing Bong, Riley's imaginary friend.

It's a very funny film, particularly the toothpaste ad gag and the end credit sequence. However it also get's you right in the feels. Just thinking about certain parts of the film makes me want to tear up, especially the ending. I got pretty emotional at the end, as I do with a fair few films, but it's one of those films that I think will affect all who watch it!

I would highly recommend this film, it's an absolute masterpiece. Let me know what you thought of it in the comments!

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!