Monday, 11 January 2016

A Year In Books | 2015


2015 was a pretty great year for me, as I explained in my last post here. One of the things that define a year for me, when looking back, are the books that I read and the authors that I discovered. I took the Goodreads Reading Challenge and initially set my goal at 40 books before increasing that to 50 because I was feeling ambitious and overly confident. I fell just short of my target in the end, mainly due to a significant drop in my reading during my December revision period. It was still a lot more than I expected, 47 books in a year isn't too shabby! This year I've set it at 40, hopefully increasing that when it gets to my extended summer holiday so hopefully there will be plenty of book posts on the way in 2016. Today I want to share with you the best books I read last year, the ones that have really stuck in my memory. 

January - A Tale For The Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. (x) I received this for Christmas last year and read it on my New Year trip to Boston so it brings back really lovely memories of that time. It's about a Japanese girl called Nao whose profoundly honest and heart wrenching diary is found by Ruth, having travelled all the way across the ocean. I remember feeling really peaceful reading this book; I loved the philosophical side of it and Nao is such an incredible character, her pain cuts deep into you when you read it. I'm definitely going to reread this book soon. 

April - Yes Please by Amy Poehler. (x) Another book with a fond memory, this time of my ski trip with school. I hadn't really seen much of Amy Poehler's work before reading this, Estee from Essie Button had been raving about it so I decided to give it a go. It is so funny and makes me want to slam my fist down and shout "hell yeah!" It encouraged me to binge watch her show Parks and Rec on one of my flights to China and I absolutely love how silly but still smart it is! Her stories from when she was doing improv comedy for a living were so interesting to me; I highly recommend this book!

May - All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. (x) This was an emotional read for sure, it was one of those where you have an idea of how the story will pan out and then its all changed in as little as a paragraph. I don't know whether I'd read it again soon but I remember that I really enjoyed it at the time.

June - I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson. (x) I remember that I really connected to the characters in this book and that it was a really enjoyable read! I wrote a review for the Guardian Teen Books site that you can read here.

July - Not That Kind Of Girl by Lena Dunham. (x) This is another book that has good memories attached, this book was my companion on the long overnight train journeys in China. Lena Dunham fascinates me, through her refreshing honesty and upfront nature about pretty much everything in her life. You never feel like she's sugarcoating or glossing over anything and the result is a collection of brilliant essays straight from Lena's brain.

November - Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. (x) I enjoyed this book so much, Rainbow Rowell is such a great YA author. I wrote a little bit about it here

December - Needlework by Deidre Sullivan. (x) This was the last book I read in 2015 and boy did it have an impact! It's such a beautiful and poetic book but also really dark and often a painful read. Nevertheless its a fantastic novel and I highly recommend it. 

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!