Sunday, 7 February 2016

3 Unexpected Things That Have Shaped My Life So Far


A few years ago there was a tag on Facebook going around that asked you to name the 12 songs that have "stayed with you" and tag 3 friends to do the same. The sort of thing that fourteen year old me loved because it meant I could pretend to be really cool and cultured by picking old school artists like Keane, Fleetwood Mac and Michael Jackson. Well at the time, my family teased me a lot about this, they joked that if I answered honestly, the list would be a little more High School Musical and a little less Dexys Midnight Runners (though Come On Eileen is an absolute jam). At the time I was all righteous and indignant but then I realised that they were right. Thinking back, Disney musicals like High School Musical and Camp Rock were the first dominoes in a long line that forms a big part of my childhood. So here are 3 unexpected things that have shaped my life...

High School Musical. This sparked my love of musical theatre, which has become a huge part of my life. At every point in my life since then, I have been involved in some sort of drama production and have seen too many shows to count. I'll always stand by my love of HSM because it introduced me to this amazing world of theatre. High School Musical was first shown in 2006 (I was turning 7) and ten years on I am performing in my Drama GCSE practical, seeing brilliant shows in the West End regularly and obsessing over original cast recordings (is it bad that I've had Hamilton on repeat for the last two weeks and nothing else?) I may have discovered musical theatre anyway but I have to credit HSM for opening my eyes to something that has been a constant throughout my youth. Theatre is one of those passions that never really goes away for me, I'll always come back to check out a new show or to reminisce over an old one.

Hermione Granger. Okay so I'm one of those people who puts a lot of effort into schoolwork and has pretty solid grades. I've always been good at academic stuff but I think Hermione gave me the confidence to embrace that and be proud of it! She's naturally clever and could probably coast through school if she wanted to but she always works hard to achieve the best. I was massively influenced by her as a little girl, she's such a strong female role model and her character development is just as important as Harry and Ron's. Without her, maybe I wouldn't have got into my school or chosen the same career to pursue. I probably wouldn't have dared to study Mandarin and look at all the amazing things that I've got out of that!

Volunteering in a charity shop. I'm pretty sure I keep going on about this one but it is crazy how much more confident I have become over the past year. I put that purely down to working on the shop floor of a book shop. There's nowhere to hide when you're working on the till, you have to keep that friendly persona on even when dealing with a difficult customer. I've gone from a socially awkward introvert to an introvert that can interact with strangers fairly easily and confidently. I now feel as if I could actually function at an event or at a job interview in the future, rather than just collapsing in a heap and crying!

What has influenced you in unexpected ways? What do you think of mine?

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo

Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin Facebook

3 comments:

  1. Great post :) High School Musical is one of my defining factors too..it's funny how much it's impacted so many people and yet people make fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love how things that seem so small at the time have such an impact on our lives. Hermione Granger should be a huge inspiration for everyone, she's so strong and isn't ashamed to be different. Things that have influenced me in unexpected ways are quitting a job with really bad working conditions, volunteering (that's just one of the best things you can do!) and talking to a fortune teller ( I realise that sounds crazy haha). x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm this makes me think... My team at work has influenced me in ways they can't even imagine. I've learned that nice people actually exists, and that it's normal to give without expecting anything in return. Gah, I've missed so much useful life lessons!

    Arianne | Ayre

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!