Tuesday, 29 March 2016

Easter Sunday in Oxford + Zheng Review

Easter SundayI hope you all had an amazing Easter weekend! It's been a while since I've posted on here due to a crazy few weeks with coursework and controlled assessments, which all went really well in the end. I did have a post ready to go but somehow it got deleted before I could publish it. I'm awful at backing stuff up and saving my writing so I kind of had it coming but its annoying nonetheless! Luckily I took some nice photos when I went to Oxford with my family so I thought I'd write up a lifestyle post instead. 

On Easter Sunday, I took the afternoon off revision and went to Oxford to look at all the beautiful university buildings. Between little spells of rain, I managed to take these pictures. My family are huge fans of the murder mystery shows Lewis and Endeavour so we were constantly pointing out different places like "I bet they've found a dead body there at some point in the series" or "Didn't Hathaway sprint down that alleyway once?" 

British Architecture
Spring Flowers
I didn't realise how awesome of a city it is for food. We wanted a Chinese so I quickly searched on Trip Advisor and this place called Zheng popped up as one of the highest rated in the city. We weren't exactly close and had to trek down a few streets to find it in blustery winds. When we did reach it, we all thought it was a takeaway as it looked tiny from the outside. I was all ready to admit defeat and take the blame for leading us on a wild goose chase when we saw that they'd posted up an extremely favourable review from esteemed critic, Giles Coren. Seeing that he'd pronounced that it was "possibly the best authentic Chinese-Malaysian in the country", I smugly dragged my family inside.

For starters we ordered some prawn crackers, duck and seaweed spring rolls and some delicious char siu buns. I've been dreaming about them ever since I had them in Chinatown a few years ago but I hadn't a clue what they were called until I saw the description in the menu. They are these little buns, made out of this pale sweet dough that I ate a lot of when I was in China, and are filled with bbq-ish pork. Heaven in dim-sum form...

Dim Sum
We also ordered a large bowl of steamed rice, Szechuan chicken, garlic vegetables (me and my friends became obsessed with this in China) and crispy cereal king prawns, which were recommended in Giles' review. All the food was absolutely divine and the only thing stopping us from polishing it all off in minutes was the logistical difficulties of chopsticks, though we all soon got back into the swing of using them.

Zheng Restaurent
Oxford is such a gorgeous city, make sure to check out Zheng when you're next there!

I'd love to write more food and lifestyle posts on here, let me know what you think in the comments or on Twitter - @hattiehards

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo

Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to Oxford before but it looks like such a beautiful city. The Chinese food you had looked delicious!

    www.wheresmylipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures! I've always wanted to go to Oxford but I've still not managed it. The university buildings look amazing! xx

    Beth | Alphabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!