Sunday, 3 April 2016

The Next Generation


Happy Sunday! I hope you've had a good week, I've been revising all week but unusually it hasn't been that panicky "oh my god there's too many topics to cover in not enough time" revision. In fact I've been quite relaxed about it all, taking far too many Netflix breaks for my own good. 

Throughout this week I've been listening to two main things; one is my amazing Disney playlist that I've been adding to recently, you can find it here (x), the other is Alessia Cara's brilliant album, Know-It-All. It's so good and her lyrics are so honest that it really makes you feel like you know her really well. She's one of the only musicians that I feel I'd actually be friends with if we met, mainly because "Here" is the realest thing ever but also because she's actually in my generation. 

It's a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure that Generation Y ends around my age group but it's mainly the current twenty-somethings. They get a lot of press and are currently killing it on all levels and platforms, be that in innovation or content creation. However the next generation are already getting a headstart and I've been thinking about the amazing teenagers repping it for the next generation of success stories, giving the rest of us so much hope...

Alessia Cara, 19. I am in love with her album and her whole vibe of not compromising her own personality in anything she does. She's already got Taylor Swift as a fan and even performed with her on the 1989 Tour. If you're only going to listen to two songs, choose Here and Four Pink Walls as they are the ones that really show her ability to write brilliant and quick lyrics. If you follow me on Twitter you probably know how obsessed I am with her album!

Tavi Gevinson, 19. I'm sure Tavi is the stuff of blogging legends, she started her fashion blog at 12 and has now expanded her empire to the online magazine Rookie. She makes all of her incredible achievements seem so effortless but her hard work is so inspirational.

Malia and Sasha Obama, 17 and 14. These two sisters are the coolest of cool, they are part of the First Family, they have a president for a dad and a lawyer and all round wonder-woman for a mum. Plus they get to go to cool dinners at their house with famous actors like Ryan Reynolds! (x) They are pretty great role models for young girls as they are so focused on their education and I hope we'll see more of them as they grow older and undoubtedly go on to do awesome things. 

Amandla Stenberg, 17. She's best known for playing Rue in the Hunger Games but she's also an intersectional feminist who isn't afraid to call out cultural appropriation when she sees it. It's kind of refreshing to see someone so young who has a clear head about important issues like this and she's one of those exciting actresses to watch. 

Auli'i Cravalho, 14. Auli'i is the girl set to play the title character in Disney's upcoming animated feature, Moana. I am so excited for this film, especially as Lin Manuel Miranda is writing the music, but we don't really know that much about her yet. She's pretty active on Instagram however (x) and to be chosen by Disney is a pretty high honour so I'd keep an eye on her!

Malala Yousafzai, 18. Okay, you know I can't do a list of influential teens without including Malala! After standing up to the Taliban for her right to an education, Malala is an icon of hope and inspiration all over the world. Seriously, read her book because it filled me with awe and shock in equal measures. It's horrific that the atrocities she describes happen in the world today but knowing there are strong people like her in my generation makes me so proud.

These awesome teenage girls are so inspirational to me; I hope this post (and also this whole blog) has convinced you that teenagers aren't the worst! (in case you're still not convinced, I love this post!) 

Let me know who I've missed out in the comments below or on Twitter!

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo 

Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you've read Malala's book too! Fab post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. aha great picks, must check out alessia's album! x

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Alessias album, the lyrics are incredibly beautiful! I'm so happy to see that she gets the recognition she deserves :) x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!