Sunday, 19 June 2016

Post GCSE Thoughts

Harriet is a free elf
shout out to Rescue Remedy for helping me through these past few weeks
Hello! It's been ridiculously long since I've blogged, have to blame exams on that, so apologies if I'm a little rusty. Hopefully I'll be putting up a lot of posts this summer because I have 11 weeks of summer without any school work or exams getting in the way. I've got two amazing holidays lined up and I'm excited to come up with all sorts content for this blog. Let's just hope I don't waste my whole summer binge-watching The West Wing ...

Ever since I found out what they were back in Year 7, GCSE's have held a sense of dread and honour for me. We all learned very early on that we shouldn't disturb any of the Year 11's as they were doing exams that were really important and could have the potential to determine the whole of their lives. Now I've actually got through them I realise what utter rubbish that was, except the part about keeping the noise down - I didn't appreciate people yelling outside while I was trying to remember what year the Nazi-Soviet Pact was signed (1939). Everyone older than me that I've spoken to has said that at the end of the day these exams aren't as big of a deal as we make them. My year has been so stressed since about January and looking back I don't really think we needed to be.

For me, these exams have been surprisingly okay, there's been questions that I'm not 100% sure on now and there's been stuff that I'm pretty sure that I nailed. I'm very proud of myself that I only had two "emotional days", one before English because I put a lot of pressure on myself to do well, and one after Additional Maths. I quite like Maths if I'm honest, I used to be awful but now it's one of my best subjects, I worked pretty hard on past papers for Add Maths and was getting pretty good marks. Then in the actual paper OCR decided that they hated me and wanted to give us the worst paper in the history of the world. Maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny bit but honestly it was so much more complicated than any of the past papers and I could not figure out what method to use let alone what the answer was. I'm pretty much over it now but it felt so awful that I spent so much time revising it and the actual exam was really bad.

Other than that I feel pretty good about how they went and it's just fingers-crossed for Results Day in August! There are a few subjects that I really want A*'s in but other than that I know I've done the best I can in these exams and will be pretty happy with whatever I get (to a point, you know me...) 

Some other cool stuff I've been doing: I went to Hay Festival again to see Letters Live, its an awesome event where famous actors and various other well-known faces read out fantastic letters from history. I was so excited to see Olivia Colman, Toby Jones and Mark Strong there, all amazing British talents but the best part was the surprise that Benedict Cumberbatch and his gorgeous wife, Sophie! I'm not going to lie I got a little bit starstruck about Olivia, Mark and Benedict because I love them so much for the stuff that I've seen them in (The Night Manager, A View from the Bridge and Sherlock of course). Highlights include Jacqueline Wilson reading the first ever Peter Rabbit story by Beatrix Potter (aka my entire childhood in a few minutes), Benedict reading a letter from Gene Wilder regarding his Willy Wonka costume and Sophie reading a beautiful letter from the mother of a young cancer patient thanking JK Rowling for giving her daughter a bit of magic in her life. It was a really lovely day out and I'd highly recommend going to see any of the Letters Live events, they are all so special. 


Benedict Cumberbatch, Louise Brealey and Sophie Hunter

Thanks for sticking around after my blogging break! You'll be seeing a lot more of me over the next few months, starting with a blog post all about my prom.

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo

Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin Facebook

If you liked this post you might like these ones ...
2015 Thoughts and Ramblings
3 Unexpected Things That Have Shaped My Life So Far

3 comments:

  1. You're not exaggerating at all about the Ad Maths, that paper was a monster :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add maths was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen...but well done for getting over it and through exams!! So excited to keep up with your blog for the summer! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for surviving GCSEs! At this point in time I only have two exams left - you're so lucky you finished last week! Some of my friends did add maths this year and found the paper ridiculously hard and said the questions were dreadful, so at least you're not alone?! Hopefully everything will all work out on results day... Enjoy your summer! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!