Saturday, 9 July 2016

Current Faves | June/July '16


As I'm writing this I'm in a pretty good place mentally and it finally feels as if this summer is going to be really great. I'm watching A Very Potter Musical right now and it looks as if I'm actually going to be able to earn a bit of money this summer to pay for driving lessons in the autumn. It's finally dawning on me that I'm going to be a 6th former in September and will be able to walk into the common room and study centre without feeling out of place. Basically everything is going to be so different in September and I want to cling on to this summer for ever and ever.

I really want to blog a lot this summer but everything I try to write seems a bit rubbish so here I am doing a post that I know is going to be alright to try and encourage all my ideas to come out of hiding ... that and there's so many amazing things that I've been loving that I want to share on here. 


Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley. I included this in my recent book haul and now that I've finished it I really want to share how much I loved it. It's all about two girls, one who is among the first black students to attend a previously all-white high school, and one who is the daughter of one of the town's fiercest critics of integration. I know it has some serious problems and requires some serious suspension of disbelief but personally I found it enjoyable to read and it's really well written so I'd say it's worth picking up.

Witch Please. Okay here's another thing that I've already written about but seeing as I've been listening non-stop to it recently, I had to include it in my current faves. I will go on and on about how much I love it so I'll keep it brief. It's a podcast in which two Canadian female academics, Marcelle and Hannah, discuss the Harry Potter series through feminist critical lense. They discuss everything from how the series uses stereotypes of race and gender to whether Hogwarts students wear trousers under their robes. I love it so much because I feel like I'm actually getting smarter as I listen and I want to be best friends with Hannah and Marcelle. But seriously I'm learning so much, probably the biggest thing they've taught me is that authorial intention is irrelevant in literary criticism, which has completely changed the way I look at JK Rowling's constant tweeting about what is and isn't canon because it's the text that matters and that can be interpreted in a huge variety of ways. Wow, great job of keeping it brief Harriet. 


Funny Girl. I was lucky enough to go see this musical for London Theatre Direct. My review will be up soon so check my Other Work tab. I'd never really seen any musicals like this one, I'm not all too familiar with anything before the 80's so I was really surprised at how much I liked it. You'll have to read my review for all my thoughts but I've been playing the soundtrack a lot since because I had no idea that there were so many good songs besides the obvious "Don't Rain On My Parade". 


Bomber Jacket. Just look at how pretty this jacket is. I saw it on Hannah Gale's blog and kind of fell in love with it. It feels like a mix of something Mary Berry and Harry Styles would wear, pretty winning combination if you ask me. 


Brooklyn Nine Nine. I'd heard a lot of people saying that it was a good show but I really didn't expect it to be as good as it is! Me and my brother are a little bit obsessed with it because it suits our sense of humour so much. It's about the 99th Precinct of the NYPD and the people that work there. There isn't a single character that isn't hilarious and I feel as if I couldn't name any one of them without wanting to acknowledge the rest, it's so rare to find such a cast where every character contributes so many comic moments. Seriously just give it a go, you won't regret it. 

The West Wing. Another TV show but this time it's a lot older, pretty much as old as me but it's so good. You know what? I'm pretty sure this is the best TV show in existence ever. Big statement but I'm 99% certain that it's true. Brilliant writing, incredible cast playing characters that you grow attached to so quickly; I want to tell everyone I know about how good it is. 


Hope you liked this post sharing my current favourites! Let me know what you're loving down in the comments or on Twitter @hattiehards.

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo

2 comments:

  1. I'm so in love with the bomber jacket, it's beautiful! I really like floral prints in general & the detailing on this jacket is so pretty :) x

    Sara / AboutLittleThings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been reading lots of books lately, so I've been loving jumping from one world to another :)

    http://ariannecruz07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!