Monday, 22 August 2016

The 5 Albums Of My Teenage Years


Whenever I get blogger's block I always go back to the question "what the hell is my niche?" There's been a lot of back and forth as to whether finding a niche is a good blogging tip but I've been thinking about it in the context of what is the unique perspective that I can offer rather than just putting out similar content to other bloggers. Then it occurred to me that I probably should be writing about things that are relevant to me not the 20 something bloggers I love. My fave posts are usually the ones that are really honest and personal to that particular blogger, I don't really care if it's relevant to my life because that's not the primary reason I read blogs. I figured out eventually that the posts about my actual life as a teenager work the best, so here we are with this post about all the albums that seem to epitomise my teenage years so far. 

The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance. Me and my friends discovered MCR at about age 13/14, me personally a few months after they broke up. It was at the stage where we were starting to become friends and this band were a thing we could all latch onto and enjoy together. We probably wouldn't have formed that close friendship as soon without them and for that I am so grateful. However it is a little bittersweet because at that point we were in Year 9 and all going through our angsty phases where I don't think we were half as happy as we are now. It was a time of insecurities and rough patches that just kept on coming, MCR was the soundtrack to all that, I like to think it helped a lot though.

This is pretty much the ultimate MCR album for me and it's been something I can always come back to as the songs never get tired or boring to me. To single out particular tracks that feel especially "teenagery" - Teenagers (of course), Cancer, Famous Last Words and Disenchanted (which I am convinced is a Taylor Swift song in a parallel universe... seriously, listen to the intro). 

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out - Panic! at the Disco. This is an amazing album and will forever be iconic in my mind. Panic! are one of my favourite bands and I feel like this album sums up the cynical, anarchic side of teenagers. I think it's mainly significant to me because Panic! was never a specific phase of the past few years, I've always gone back to this particular album for the amazing lyrics. It doesn't feel all too polished and this is the first time the world ever got to hear the miracle that is Brendon Urie's voice so it must be pretty special. I have no idea what category this music falls into but it is 100% my kind of music (except for the other wildly different genres you'll see in this post). I can't believe I was only 6 in 2005 when everyone was going through the phase of having insanely long song titles, what a time for music. I Write Sins Not Tragedies is a song that every should know the lyrics to and my other recent favourites are I Constantly Thank God For Esteban, Build God Then We'll Talk and (brace yourself this one's long) There's a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of It Yet.

Midnight Memories - One Direction. I couldn't do this list without including One Direction, it was just a matter of which album. This one is the first one I properly listened to as it came out and kind of lightened up my mood a lot during this time. I remember my current friend group was forming around this time and we were all getting into 1D so there's a lot of happy memories associated with it. Harry Styles' voice is a gift to this generation and I think everyone needs something a little lighter and less serious to listen to every now and then. 

5 Seconds of Summer - 5SOS. This one properly represents my friends and the part of my life I've spent with them. We completely bonded over this album and going to see 5SOS live was one of the best memories I have with them. Nowadays I'm not too sure how much I like the band as people, they haven't been coming across well this year, but I still absolutely love this album and just remembering singing every word at their concert puts a smile on my face.

Know-It-All - Alessia Cara. This only came out last year but it's the single album that I feel I can relate to the most as a teenage girl. Alessia has such a way with lyrics and her creativity is so inspiring to me as it feels as though she didn't compromise on any aspects of her music when putting out this album. She writes about ambition in Four Pink Walls, small town problems in Here and body image in Scars To Your Beautiful, all in such an honest and unapologetic manner. Her whole look feels so authentic, rather than being moulded into the stereotypical young pop star image and it definitely feels like her voice and her ideas being presented in the album. For me, it feels like the album that best represents me and my worldview so will always be special to me in that respect. I would really highly recommend checking this album out for yourself.

Those were the five albums that have been the most significant in my life as a teenager. Let me know if you'd like to see more of this more personal content and more music in the future! 

I'd love to know which albums have been significant to you, leave me a comment!

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo 

Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin Facebook

If you liked this post you might like these ones ...

July Roundup

Love Your Music Taste

2 comments:

  1. Totally identify with all of these!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Know-It-All is one of the best albums I've ever heard! Alessia is so so talented & her lyrics are so meaningful which I absolutely love. Especially Here is such a relatable song to me but they all are x

    Sara’sChapters

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!