Sunday, 11 September 2016

10 Incredible Things To Do In New York


If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you might know that I just got home from a week in the greatest city in the world! New York was one of those trips where every single day was unforgettable and I'm always taken aback at the brilliant atmosphere in this city. I've been twice before but always in Christmas and never in the summer; it feels so different in the sun, much more relaxed. So I've been posting quite a lot on Instagram Stories this week, updating you on all the cool things I did, via many posts per day, some of which were a little cringey (actually a lot cringey but they've disappeared now so it's okay); if you haven't seen them or want to know more about my trip, you've come to the right place! Before the trip, I loved reading other people's New York posts to figure out what I couldn't miss, so I'm going to structure this post around things you can do if you're ever in the Big Apple.

Visit the One World Observatory at One World Trade Centre. It's the tallest building in the city and in my opinion the views are even better than the Rockefeller or the Empire State. It's right down near the bottom of Manhattan so you get a full picture of the island, the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn and Queens. We went up there early evening while it was still light and stayed until it was dark to see the whole city lit up. They've got lovely staff working there and it's just a really cool building to experience. 



Walk the High Line. We did this on our first day and boy, is it a good way to get a feel for the city. It's essentially a disused railway line that runs above Chelsea and the Meatpacking District, all done up with greenery and benches recently. New York in the summer is so sunny and warm and in my opinion, this is just as nice a way to spend an afternoon as in Central Park. It feels like a real hub of the community; we even witnessed a wedding taking place up there!



Get lots of Starbucks. Alright, hear me out on this one... Every time my family visits a big city we always wind up in a Starbucks to keep us going through the day. Though you can take the subway or a taxi, New York is a city to be walked through, there are sights around every corner, and it can get tiring after a while. Personally, I only go to Starbucks for their seasonal drinks, as I only drink coffee when it's pumped full of syrup and sugar. Winter is the time for the peppermint and caramel drinks but I could drink their summer offerings all year round, they do iced tea lemonades to die for. Not every stop has to be at a super chic cafe guys, especially when you're about to faint from the heat!

Go to a Broadway show. I know this one isn't cheap, even with the knockdown prices at TKTS, but for all my theatre lovers out there, go see something that we don't have in the West End yet! I went to see Waitress at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre and absolutely loved it. I'll have a full review up in the next few weeks but it felt quite special to see a show that only opened this year, with its original cast. 



Go on the East River Ferry. This is a ferry route that has terminals at Midtown Manhatten, Williamsburg, Brooklyn and Wall Street. It's so much more than a quick way to get to a different part of New York because the views are unparalleled, you're not going to get a better view of the skyline unless you actually go up a skyscraper. Sure it might cost lots to go to the top of the Rock but for $4 you can get from one end of New York to the other while taking some pretty amazing pictures of the most famous skyline in the world. I hadn't a clue that you could do this before I went but now it's one of my most vivid memories of the city's beauty. 



Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Total tourist trap but it's a must for seeing one of the best views in the whole city and maybe the world. There's not a lot more to say about this one, other than it's beautiful and you need to do this at least once in your life. 





Visit the UN. The UN headquarters isn't on all of those tourist lists for New York but it should be, in my opinion. We didn't do any museums this time around but this is just as interesting a place to visit. You can get a tour round all the important rooms where the important councils meet to  discuss the most important issues in the world. Our tour guide was called Patricia and was so sarcastic and hilarious but also made it really informative, giving us the context of what's going on right, telling us how the membership works etc. It's technically international territory so you can also get your passport stamped with the UN logo.

Cycle. I think there's lots of routes you can take but we cycled up the West Side, from Hell's Kitchen all the way up to Washington Heights. I'd really recommend the bike rental place we used, Blazing Saddles, they were so friendly and the bikes were great. It's a really nice way to spend the day, especially if you're sick of walking everywhere!

Get a Shake Shack at Madison Square Park. I got this one off Hannah Gale's blog and it's one of those chilled things to do, just sit in a park and enjoy a really great burger. I had the Shroom Burger and a Concrete (frozen custard with chocolate and caramel mix-ins) and it was one of the most satisfying meals I've had in a long time. 


Go to Ellen's Stardust Diner. I've been to New York three times, the first in 2007 and every time we've been to this diner. We almost didn't go but our flight was cancelled meaning we had another night in the city so we decided to go there for our last meal. It's just like any diner in New York, except the waitstaff sing. They're mostly made up of actors and actresses, working in between auditions and trying to get their break on Broadway, a lot of which are actually successful. It's just a much more fun and entertaining way to have a meal, the food is really good too. It's one of those "don't miss it" kind of restaurents as it's so unique and special to Broadway. 




I hope you enjoyed this post about my trip to New York! There's a couple more NY posts I'd like to write so keep an eye out for those in the coming weeks!

Have a wonderful week!
Hattie xo 


Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin Facebook

If you liked this post you might like these ones ...

August Roundup

A Crazy Day In London

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! Expect a reply soon!